Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Monday, September 03, 2007

Orangutang : The Rewards of Cruelty [EP]

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Orangutang were from Boston. The members were Christian Dyas on vocals and guitar, Joe Klompus on bass, David Steele on guitar, and Todd Perlmutter on drums. They put out this EP, The Rewards of Cruelty, in 1993 (a full-length album, Dead Sailor Acid Blues, followed in 1994) on Imago Records.
Christian Dyas and Joe Klompus were both from Baltimore and relocated to Boston after the break-up of Fiction Bridge, formerly Hour House (no known recorded output under this name) and Clever Lines.
Should appeal to Fugazi & Dischord fans in general as it's produced & engineered by Don Zientara at Inner Ear studios and his stamp is all over it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Orangutang - The Rewards of Cruelty [EP]

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Nez said...

For the first two songs I was asking myself "What the hell is this guy talking about 'Should appeal to Fugazi/dischord fans...' this is bad metalish punk/rock.
Then the third song started... I wonder if Don Z. was shaking his head as they tracked that one.
This sounds really dated to me...

5:21 AM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Hello Mr. Nez. Thanks for the comment. Not impressed I guess. Dated? I wouldn't exactly call it a period piece myself, more a little bit of objet d'art. Incase you hadn't spotted it, bad metalish punk/rock is kinda what I post here most of the time... Cheers.
Onwards!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Mr. Nez said...

You have a lot more than just bad/metalish stuff on here... I didn't mean that comment in a really negative way. It just didn't sound too Fugzi/Dischord to me until that third song...then it was really - really obvious, especially if you consider the year it was recorded.

I recently expanded my mp3 blog bookmarks to include yours and several others after a few months with out some of my favorite made things get a little slow (dressed for the h bomb, Something I Learned Today)

I dig what your doing and I really appreciate it.

The Nomeansno post was stellar! I miss Andy Kerr in that band (but they are still amazing).

Keep up the great post, I'll be watching the feed.

1:21 AM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Thanks for the kind words Mr Nez. I do concede if they'd kicked it off with track three it would have made more sense. I like to think they squeezed the album in around sessions for 'Red Medicine'
I miss SILT as well, it and Strange Reaction were what got me into bloging to start with. If I hit with at least 1 in 20 posts it's still kinda worhtwhile!
Cheers
J

11:05 PM  
Blogger rone said...

FWIW, Dyas and Perlmutter have been part of the Blue Man Group's band since at least the release of "Audio".

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the link is broken,upload one more time pleaSE

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home