Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Ben Weasel - Fidatevi

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

OK, John here. Couple of things you've probably noticed.

1.Jeronyme who used to run Sounds Fair blog, has started posting on here as well, and is posting some fantastic stuff. This a now a joint venture & I think the blog is already all the better for it. It needed a kick up the arse & I think Jeronyme has truly given it one.

2.If you've been coming here for a while, you've probably wondered about the whirly wheel and the general Buddhist links. Confession, though i'm no straight edge (I still loves me cider & the occasional roll up) i've got really interested in Buddhism over the last few years. I'm no hippy either! I will post Cockney Rejects & Sham records for the next year if you say I am. Good I hear you say.........
Anyway, I sort of got into it through martial arts, Mrs Liedown was already on the way. Then I read two books 'Dharma Punx' & 'Hardcore Zen' and it all kinda clicked. You'll find links on the page.
Mrs Liedown is now a Lay Zen Buddhist. We went to see the old Dali Llama himself a few months back in Nottingham. Very entertaining man indeed. (it wasn't like an audience there were several thousand other people there.)
Onto the record, seems it's not just me, Ben Weasel released this solo record back in 2002, and a little gem it is. More akin to Crimpshrine & Jawbreaker than the Ramones.
Now, where's me Blackthorn!
Click cover to go to Weasel Manor.

Ben Weasel - Fidatevi

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well then, I guess I can come out and say that I chant the Krishna Maha Mantra regularly and subscribe to some basic Krsna tenants, though I can't honestly call myself a devotee. Blame the Cro-Mags and Poly Styrene. I find it fits well with many of my overall philosophies (Karma,vegetarianism, reincarnation etc.) though there are plenty of dodgy followers, don't call me a Krishna core kid 'cause I'm not!

Anyway, I think the Rejects had some closet hippy tendencies, check out the Stinky Turner bio for more info. And Pursey probably has more in common with hippies than punks these days. And I say...good for him. Change keeps us vital.

I'll shut up now...

Sascha

12:12 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

I knew there was something dodgy about you Sascha! ;)
It's similar for me, i'm no devotee by a long chalk! But like you say it's the overall philosophies (Karma,vegetarianism,etc.) also the fact you don't have to believe in a god with Buddhism is attractive. I blame Bruce Lee for it!
I'd rather you told Mr. Turner what a hippy he is than me. Cracking book that as well, read it a few month back.
I fancy posting some 'Shelter' now!
Sascha, never shut up. I love your comments. Like I keep saying you really ought to do a blog of your own. Pursey was always a hippy anyway. I love that bit in Rollins 'Get in the Van' where Rollins and Ian Mackaye go and visit him.
Change is always good.
Krishna core kid!
J

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks bro'.

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home