Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sleeper - Display E.P.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No, not that Sleeper yah Numpty. This has nothing to do with Louise Weinershnitsel or whatever her name was. This Sleeper were a rather nifty five piece combo from New York, who, unfortunately, picked the same moniker during the same period.
I think this 7 inch is from about 93, on lovely yellow vinyl.
Thanks to Laurent in the comments box, I can update this post. They changed their name to Serpico (which confusingly was also one of Wiz (R.I.P.) of Mega City Four bands after MC4 split) and released several more singles & a few L.P.'s. Click covers to go to their myspace for some more downloads.
Safe to say, if this had been released on Dischord, you would still be talking about them.
A bit of Dischord, a sprinkling of Husker Du & a dash of The Descendents. (Seems I was right with the influences. I may have seen Chaos U.K. upwards of fifty times, but the old ears have still got it.)
Released on Tragic Life Records.
Worth it for 'Wasted Today'.
Thanks again to Laurent.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Sleeper - Display
Sleeper - Wasted Today
Sleeper - Are You There?

8 Comments:

Blogger jeffen said...

You hit the right influences but you'd have to add Jawbreaker. I only have a shitty tape of this (since I was dumb enough to sell my vinyl.)
There is an album but it has a redone, weaker version of "Wasted Today" which is, by a million miles, their best song.

(Here I am commenting after you said we didn't do this blogging thing for the comments but 'cos we're gobby shites.)

You are on my blogroll at:

http://musicruinedmylife.blogspot.com/

2:48 PM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Ha Ha! Did I say that! Probably. :)
Yeah there's a bit of a Jawbreaker feel to it as well.
Interested in hearing th L.P. if you ever upload it.
Likewise you are now on my blogroll.
Cheers for comment.
J

9:31 PM  
Blogger jeffen said...

Yeah that was over at Scrounging Cider.

As one of the colonized, I pondered the combining of 'gob' and 'shite' Then my head hurt like I'd watched an entire season of EastEnders in a single siting.

Thanks for the add - I'll keep my eye out for the Sleeper CD.

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you want to hear more from this band, they became SERPICO and recorded several albums on Equal Vision Records and a lot of 7''.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SERPICO :

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=372550671

9:38 AM  
Blogger John Liedown said...

Laurent,
Cheers for that. That is exactly what a comments box is for! I've updated the post accordingly.
J

2:39 PM  
Blogger Highlander said...

"Weinershnitsel" - LOL

9:16 PM  
Blogger Dennis Verhiest said...

Thanks for posting this....this was such a great band!!!!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home