Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Red London - Outlaws LP (1989)




Album released on french label "Negative Records" in 1989. Catchy, melodic stuff with a bit of a sad, nostalgic feel to it. Had mixed impressions about this LP back then mainly because of a light heavy metallish touch every now and then (not that I was/am necessarily reluctant to Heavy Metal mind you but...) and because of a relatively poor production. Still think it's a bit of a frustrating/"could have been better if" release but really worth a listen or two... and don't forget to check Red Londons' interview posted on Punks On Postcards not so long ago.

Side A:
New Kids On The Block
Shades Of 34
Go For It
It's Never Too Late
Chase It Up
Living For The Week-End

Side B:
The Day They Tore The Old School Down
Voices
Coming Home
Desolation
48 Reasons
The Day They Tore The Old School Down (reprise)

Outlaws

6 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

Obviously I am about the world's biggest RL fan so I have lots to say about this. First of all, thanks for posting it 'cause it's gotten quite rare and I think it's both an underrated gem and the band's finest moment bar none. I agree the production is iffy in spots but overall I think it's better that way than the almost too slick quality of the follow up "Tumbling Dice" LP, which is also a brilliant misfire of sorts. Part of the mystique of this band for me is that they were so on the cusp of doing something totally fucking cool but the usual band hassles, line up changes barred them from reaching their full fruition. As it stands, this LP came pretty damn close.

The melancholy lyrics also work well particularly well with singer Marty Clark's saddened rasp on this. If this band had been a season they would have been autumn.

I am trying to get Gaz Stoker's current combo The Dipsomaniacs to do an interrogation, as well as a new dossier on former drummer/vocalists Raish Carter's antics going...keep your peepers peeled!

Thanks for the post again, nice to have this on my computer.

Sascha

12:13 AM  
Blogger kennyhel77 said...

nice one!! I have been looking for this for ages. Some of the metallic edge that you mention might be due to Tony Van Frater playing on this? He always had Red Alert with a more metallic touch ala the Cockney Rejects.

BTW you wouldn't have their Pride and Passion Ep would you?????? Great blog by the way. I see that you have mine..Days Of Our Youth listed. Cheers!!!
Ken

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog! ;) Best wishis, and keep going.. Serbia salute you!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Jeronyme said...

@ Sascha
You should have introduced this record... really.
I agree Marty Clark's voice is a real asset on this album. It perfectly fits especially with the more melancholic tunes. I certainly keep my eyes peeled!

@Kennyhel77
About Tony Van Frater you're probably right.
Sorry, I haven't got the Pride&Passion EP but if I ever get hold of a copy you'll be the first to know.

@Cherokee Sound
Thanx.

7:45 PM  
Blogger kennyhel77 said...

Cheers!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Sascha said...

Jeronyme, thanks for the shout out.

Kenny-I have P&P and once I figure out how to upload it I shall. Please don't hold your breath as I am a bit of nincompoop with this blogging/internet thing.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home